StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Derive new value for Commodity Channel Index with new parameters<< >>Post Follow-up
kenlsk
5 posts
msg #149886
Ignore kenlsk
modified
12/14/2019 11:24:28 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to define my own Commodity Channel Index (CCI) for 14 days and constant of 0.03 instead of 0.015 based on the calculation given in this website:
https://school.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=technical_indicators:commodity_channel_index_cci#calculation

Below is my code in stockfetcher:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
/*Derivation of CCI(14,0.03)*/
set{sum_high_low,high+low}
set{sum_range_close,sum_high_low+close}
set{typical_p,sum_range_close/3}
set{avg_p,sum(typical_p,14)/14}
set{fix_avg_p,DATE(20191212,avg_p)}
set{sub,typical_p-fix_avg_p}
set{ab_sub,abs(sub)}
set{mad,sum(ab_sub,3)}
set{nom,typical_p-ma(14)}
set{denom,0.03*mad}
set{cci14_0.03,nom/denom}

add column cci14_0.03
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm trying to make the variable fix_avg_p as a constant, so that when I offset this variable for several days (e.g. fix_avg_p 1 day ago, fix_avg_p 2 day ago, etc.), I will still get the same number. I attempted the function date(YYYYMMDD,indicator) to fix the date on 12 Dec 2019. However, I can't get the user defined CCI as expected.

How can I improve my code to implement this user defined indicator to my stockfetcher filter?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Kiem

xarlor
562 posts
msg #149887
Ignore xarlor
12/14/2019 1:32:18 PM

kenlsk, your fix_avg_p is indeed a constant. The problem you are likely encountering is when you put fix_avg_p 2 days ago with date 20191212, it breaks. You can see with the add columns below. Note the fix_avg_p columns.

DATE 12/12/19 (2 days ago from today (12/14/19):

Fetcher[

add column avg_p
add column avg_p 1 day ago
add column avg_p 2 days ago
add column avg_p 3 days ago
add column avg_p 4 days ago
add column fix_avg_p
add column fix_avg_p 1 day ago
add column fix_avg_p 2 days ago
add column fix_avg_p 3 days ago
add column fix_avg_p 4 days ago
]

DATE 12/10/19, 4 days ago from today (12/14/19):

Fetcher[
set{fix_avg_p,DATE(20191210,avg_p)}

add column avg_p
add column avg_p 1 day ago
add column avg_p 2 days ago
add column avg_p 3 days ago
add column avg_p 4 days ago
add column fix_avg_p
add column fix_avg_p 1 day ago
add column fix_avg_p 2 days ago
add column fix_avg_p 3 days ago
add column fix_avg_p 4 days ago
]

kenlsk
5 posts
msg #149890
Ignore kenlsk
12/15/2019 1:40:26 AM

Hi xarlor,

Yes. This is exactly the issue that I had encountered. So I'm wondering whether anyone here have any workaround code for such scenario?

Thanks.

Regards,
Kiem

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #149892
Ignore nibor100
12/15/2019 10:55:32 AM

@ kenlsk,

1. The simplest solution to getting an SF CCI based on 14 days and .03 instead of .015 is to divide the normal SF CCI(14) by 2
(this works because to increase the standard multiplier of .015 to .03 just requires the denominator to be multiplied by 2)

example filter:

Fetcher[
add column cci(14)

set{scci,.5*cci(14)}
add column scci
]

2. However, when I look at the code you provided in your initial post you are doing a few thing different in your code than in the stock charts CCI calc example you provided.

a. this line
based on the date of your original post is taking the typical price from 2 days ago instead of the current day's typical price. Is this on purpose?

b. this line
set{mad,sum(ab_sub,3)}
seems to be taking a 3 day sum of the absolute values instead of a 14 day sum?

c. this line
seems to be setting the numerator to be a regular 14 day simple moving average of the closing prices subtracted from today's typical price instead of subtracting the 14 day simple moving average of typical price(or your variable "avg_p"?

d. which of course means that this line
set{denom,0.03*mad}
is setting the denominator to be .03 times your variable "mad" which is only a 3 day sum of the abosolute values???

Clearly if you really intend on all of those lines to be part of your calculation then my divide by 2 solution won't get you what you are looking for.

Thanks,
Ed S.

kenlsk
5 posts
msg #149897
Ignore kenlsk
modified
12/16/2019 9:11:45 AM

Hi nibor100,

It is a fantastic idea from you, divided the CCI(14,0.015) by 2 will be the number I need.

I had added my reply for your question below:
a. this line
based on the date of your original post is taking the typical price from 2 days ago instead of the current day's typical price. Is this on purpose?
Me: Yes. Actually I prefer to have the fix_avg_p for today. But once I offset this value to a few days ago, the figure will change.

b. this line
set{mad,sum(ab_sub,3)}
seems to be taking a 3 day sum of the absolute values instead of a 14 day sum?
Me: It is my mistake here. It should be 14 day sum instead of 3 day sum.

c. this line
seems to be setting the numerator to be a regular 14 day simple moving average of the closing prices subtracted from today's typical price instead of subtracting the 14 day simple moving average of typical price(or your variable "avg_p"?
Me: It is my mistake her too. You are right because the numerator should be (Typical Price - 20-period SMA of TP).

d. which of course means that this line
set{denom,0.03*mad}
is setting the denominator to be .03 times your variable "mad" which is only a 3 day sum of the abosolute values???
Me: Replied in part b.

Thanks.

Regards,
Kiem

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Derive new value for Commodity Channel Index with new parameters<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.