StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Different Results from Synonymous Filter Wording (Near vs Less Than)<< >>Post Follow-up
Chipless
1 posts
msg #149036
Ignore Chipless
9/3/2019 11:00:53 AM

Hi,

Extremely new to SF, so please forgive me for a what could possibly be a dumb question. However, I couldn't find the answer by searching, and I am still a bit perplexed by this:

These two filter phrases are synonymous from my understanding, but they return different results:

1) Price is near 52 week high
2) Price is less than 2% below 52 week high

Can someone please explain why the results are different? My understanding is that "near" uses 2% by default, so why would these results be different? I assumed that it has something to do with a stock's current price actually being at a new 52 week high, but that would just be a guess, so it would be great to get some clarification.

Thank you!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #149037
Ignore karennma
modified
9/3/2019 1:58:03 PM

I'm NOT getting the same results.
This one gives me 132 stocks:

Fetcher[
Price is < 2% below 52 week high
close > 100
]

This one gives me 54 stocks:
Fetcher[
Price is near 52 week high
close > 100
]

Of course, results will vary depending upon the time of day you run the scan.
Re: "My understanding is that "near" uses 2% by default"
Is that true?

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #149038
Ignore Cheese
modified
9/3/2019 4:07:17 PM

My understanding of those two different filter conditions is as follows

1) "Price is near 52 week high" selects cases where
prices are between
"52 week high MINUS an amount up to 2% of 52 week high"
and "52 week high PLUS an amount up to 2% of 52 week high"

2) "Price is less than 2% below 52 week high" selects cases where
prices are between
"52 week high MINUS an amount up to but not including 2% of 52 week high"
and 52 week high

Stockfetcher reference:
https://www.stockfetcher.com/forums/Filter-Phrases/Near/113793

Hope this helps

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Different Results from Synonymous Filter Wording (Near vs Less Than)<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.